Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Zebra Crossing - Angry Mother

So we live in a lovely little neighbourhood, we have a little "village" of shops and stores which is only a few minutes walk from my home. All the shops that I could need, and its great just being able to pop down. Its actually easier for me to put Baby in the buggy and walk to the shops, rather than put Baby in carseat, drive down, park, take out baby, take out buggy etc.

There is a roundabout at the village, quite a famous roundabout in Auckland with Ollies Ice Cream parlour on teh corner. There are 5 busy roads that all meet. Each of these roads has a pedestrian crossing.

I have heard rumours that people have been killed on these crossings, as cars were driving too fast and did not stop.

I have experienced numerous occasions myself, where the car has not seen me. So now of course I stop at the side of the road and wait to confirm the car has stopped.

If someone does not stop, and they look guilty / shocked as they see me when they drive past. They smile and mouth the word "sorry" through the window. I take great pleasure in giving them the Big Finger.

Sometimes if they dont stop, adn dont see me, I give a huge yell at them "OI" I yell, and pull the finger.

Shouting out "OI" is nearly as effective as sounding a horn. But of course I dont have a horn as I'm just walking with my buggy and child.

Its also good that my buggy and my older child are in front of me, as I push from behind. They dont see me give the Big Finger.

Nowadays, because of all teh stress and angst in my life, when I am crossing the road, I hope that people dont stop for the zebra crossing. I want to yell "OI" at them. I enjoy it.