Choosing the right size breastshield to go with your medela breast pump.
A correctly fitted breastshield avoids compression of any milk ducts during breast pumping to ensure optimal breast emptying and maximum milk output.
Your breastshield is the right size if you answer to the following questions is YES
1. is your nipple moving freely in the tunnel?
2. Is minimal or no areolar tissue being pulled into the tunnel of the breastshield?
3. Do you see a gentle, rhythmical motion in the breast which each cycle of the pump?
4. Do you feel the breast emptying all over?
5. Is your nipple pain free?
If your answer to any of the above questions is NO try a larger breastshield.
Medela Breast Shields are available in smaller and larger sizes, than the size that comes with the original pump. Suitable for mini electric breast pump, mini electric plus, swing breast pump, manual breast pump, and advanced set
For more information view our Breastmates breastfeeding website.
If problems or pain occur consult your midwive, lactation consultant, or doctor.