Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Nappies

Even though I don't sell nappies (just nappy creams and diaper bags at my online store) people seem to ask me questions about them.   Probably because they know that I'm a mum and that I'll answer their enquiry.

Regardless of whether you use cloth nappies or disposable nappies, the main thing that the nappies are easy to use, and do not leak. 

You are going to be changing nappies every 3 or 4 hours. When baby is newborn, you'll get into the routine of feeding from one breast, burping, change nappy, and then feeding from the other breast.   So that will be around 4 hourly during the feeding cycle - and extra if they poop.

When they start sleeping through the night, luckily nappy changing frequency will reduce.  And when they get older too, the time is reduced.  But there will be a lot of nappies!!!!  For a couple of years!!!!!  That thought was daunting to me when I was a new mum!

With my first son I used cloth nappies (I am a greenie after all).  With cloth nappies, things have been modernised nowadays so you don't need big flat squares nor pins.  These days its all about convenience and ease of use. Nappies have really been re-invented now with improvements in fabrics and snap systems rather than pins. There are a couple of systems you can go for:

  • Breathable waterproof overnap, which you put  in Prefolds (folded up absorbent cotton layers)
  • Pocket Nappy  (which you stuff with absorbent prefolds)
  • All-in-One  (this has the waterproof layer and the absorbent layer all sewed together.  This one looks most like a disposable, but they do take longer to dry.

There are a number of different brands available, and it can get quite confusing when you are researching.  But all the nappy options and brands will come down to the 3 functions that i described above.

A great place to do research is http://www.thenappynetwork.org.nz  This website also has a really good forum with thousands of helpful mums to answer your questions.

I personally used Overnaps with prefolds on the inside, and also Pocket Nappies.  I liked the Pocket Nappies as the brand that I used could be adjusted to fit from birth to toddler.

A good store that I would love to recommend to you is Pippa's http://www.snazzipants.co.nz  (if you visit her online or store please tell her that Breastmates referred you!)

When my second son was born, the advantage of cloth nappies is that I could reuse them all again and not have to purchase.  But when he was born, my business got a lot busier, and I struggled to keep up with my normal washing let alone nappies too.  So I use a mix of cloth and disposables. 

So just like breast vs boob, and cloth vs disposable I've done both :-)