Monday, October 6, 2008

Constipated Baby

So my baby is breastfeed, he has been exclusively breastfed since he was born, and he is now nearly 6 months.

Two weeks ago we started him on solids, just baby rice, pumpkin, and kumara to start with. We only started feeding him solids because he was opening his mouth and copying us when we were having dinner, he can hold his head up by himself, he was mouthing everything, and he had started unusually waking at night.

So he loves his baby food!!

But over the past two weeks since he started solids, he has only done about 3 bowel motions. So a lot of food has been going in, and breast milk, but no poop coming out!

I had thought that breast milk helps to keep baby regular, and stop baby getting constipated. But not quite this time.

he has been unsettled, must have a sore tummy.

My mother suggested dissolving a little bit of brown sugar in water, and giving him this. I have NO IDEA how brown sugar is meant to help constipatation, so cannot give you readers the science behind it.

Gave him the dose of brown sugar at 9am Sunday. No result all day.

It is now 9am Monday, and we have a result. A very very firm turd! YIPPEE I have never been so happy to see a poo! It was huge!

So based on my small trial period, I think brown sugar does work for constipated baby.

Baby now fast asleep and happy at last!